You need to log in to create posts and topics.

More late news

Once again I must apologise for the delay in submitting this report. However as it concerns the activities of a club member during the prestigious Isle of Man Cycling Week fifty years ago I believe it is a case of better late than never.

Using fitness and skills he honed at Preston Park Howard Burrell took a brilliant second place in the Grand Prix of Onchan 660 yards scratch sprint against opposition from throughout the UK and Ireland. Not content with burning up the track on the Friday Howard took part in the classic Manx International Road Race over three laps of the T.T. circuit totalling 113 gruelling miles. As the race name suggests Howard was up against an international field contains the cream of UK roadmen and teams from Belgium. Holland, Poland and Ireland. Perhaps unsurprisingly given his efforts on the track Howard found the distance and three ascents of Snaefell mountain very testing and it has to be said that he didn't worry the main contenders. He nevertheless finished in front of a number of international riders after five and half hours of hard graft. Well done Howard.

I love this (very) occasional series of race reports Ray - keep 'em coming with a little more frequency pls! 😉